7 Jan 2013

January 7th



In the latest news: Britain's oldest man has died at the age of 110 years and 63 days.

Mr Dean served as an army chaplain during World War II. Former church minister Reg Dean lived through two world wars and 24 British prime ministers.

I can't imagine what quality of life a person of that age would have. I'm not sure I want to live that long. To me, life is about doing things, relating to other people and loving kindness.
I guess the doing things wouldn't be on the agenda if we were old. And yet, there's no reason why we couldn't relate to other people. People, maybe nursing staff, would care for an elderly person. The question is: would they do so with genuine loving kindness?

2 comments:

  1. Our oldest resident is over 100... he lives well and leads the town parade every year. He is also one of the wealthiest residents in town.

    Maybe there's a tie between the two.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My grandmother lived to be 104 but she had no short term or long term memory. Lived in the moment like an infant. She may not have remembered her own sons or having been married all those decades, but she was happy. It was the years before than while she was losing her memory and she knew it that were hard for her. I wouldn't want to lose my mind. As long as I had my mind, I wouldn't care how long I lived, I guess. :)

    ReplyDelete

Please tell me what YOU think.