16 Apr 2013

A - Z Challenge - N



The reflection of British wildflowers in emotions.
------------------
Nimphoides peltata. Naïve.

The round, heart-shaped, leathery leaves of Nimphoides float on water, resembling the water-lily although smaller. The long-stalked flowers are conspicuous, funnel-shaped and measure up to 3 cm across, with five yellow-gold fringed petals. Protected in law by many countries, the decorative plant can be seen on the surface of backwaters, slow-moving rivers and ponds.

People who are naïve tend to believe whatever they're told. They float over the surface of life without thinking things through to decide if it is right or wrong. A naïve person has a childish, innocent view of the world, perhaps because of not living through multiple experiences. A New International version bible quote: "I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven." Whilst it's good to believe the best in every person or situation, it may not be safe. Unlike the Nimphoides, naïve people are not protected by law.


Proverb: Nothing is certain but death and taxes.

16 comments:

  1. Good post. Very interesting, I might add.

    Hugs and chocolate,
    Shelly

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never came across these before. Your last last phrase, 'naive people are not protected by law' makes me want to defend those people who have that innocent air about them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely post thank you Francene and I love your quote.
    I love to see lilies of all kinds, in ponds mostly is where I see them, unconcerned about the travails of the world.
    I agree with Sally's remark above ..


    Susan Scott's Soul Stuff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing bothers pnd plants but the lack of water, oxygen and light.

      Delete
  4. neat post and made me think about the concept of being naive.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with you on how naive people easily accept what they are told. How else does Fox News find its audience?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or the popular press? How can we believe what people say about others? We should only trust our own experience.

      Delete
  6. I also agree that while we are sometimes taught to see the good in everyone, it's also important to understand that some people are toxic, and it's best for ourselves to stop making excuses for certain people are the way they are.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Unlike the Nimphoides, naïve people are not protected by law."

    Great line!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Francene - Nimphoides .. I didn't know their name. Love Liz' comment above .. so true!

    Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the correlation between the lilies and naiveté. I like what you're doing with A to Z. I'm off to check out your other posts.

    ReplyDelete

Please tell me what YOU think.