1 Apr 2013

A - Z Writing Challenge - A



The letter for taday is A, where I talk about Allium ursinum & Affectionate.



The wild garlic Allium grows under tall trees opposite our little string of cottages on the old Roman road leading from London to St Albans. In springtime, the plants display white frothy flowers. The roots look like spring onions and chefs use the leaves in dishes to infuse a garlic flavor. Fresh leaves can promote digestion and lower blood pressure. Chopped leaves can grace salads and salads or be cooked in soups and stews. 

I must admit to employing the healing herb in the futuristic a series of novels written with my German co-author, Edith Parzefall. Two are already published—see at the side of the page. In the four novels, Cerridwen uses wild garlic to wrap wounds, to heal bruises and to give affectionate care and comfort to the people she tends. No healing works without an expression of deep concern. As an author, I predicted the spread of her healing herb throughout Britland after the apocalypse. The bulbous roots of the allium divide and conquer the surrounding area in a bee-affectionate, frothy-white spring display—rather like a hug that will soon be withdrawn when the flowers die, leaving the pungant leaves.


Proverb: Absence makes the heart grow fonder.


25 comments:

  1. Hi Francene,
    They look quite a delicate flower to have all that power. Love the proverb as well. Great theme.
    http://sallys-scribbles.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The healing power comes from wrapping the leaves around a wound rather like a band aid.

      Delete
  2. I love reading books with interesting info like this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love seeing the wild garlic appearing - and the scent on a warm day - just beautiful
    Lx

    Blogging AtoZ @ChickLitLove

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're obviously a food-lover. I hope we'll have some sunshine and warmth when the flowers appear soon.

      Delete
  4. A few years back I studied changes throughout the year in a local wood. There was lots of the wild garlic there which was difficult to avoid. I stiil check for it when I.m passing,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. I'm glad the wild garlic has become sought after. I can't eat the leaves growing close by because of the fumes from contstnt busy traffic.

      Delete
  5. I'm curious if you knew of the herb and used it in your books or if you learned of it from researching an herb to use in your story?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the herb growing in my garden right beside the bin, Cindy. And it grows in the wood opposite.

      Delete
  6. We have allium in our garden but I've never used it in the kitchen. I'm always wary in case I've picked the wrong thing and I'll poison everyone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can't mistake the broad leaf--especially if you sniff up close. ;-)

      Delete
  7. Not only are they beautiful but they're healthy too. Very interesting!

    TaMara
    Tales of a Pee Dee Mama

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They say there's something in nature to cure every illness.

      Delete
  8. HI Francene! I always love how you weave two topics together in your A to Z posts! BTW, that flower is so pretty: delicate, feminine and useful in cooking! My fav! Happy A-to-Z 2013! ~Angela, Whole Foods Living

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I worked all my posts out last month, just to ensure I got everything right this year. Our wild garlic will flower in the front garden soon.

      Delete
  9. It's good to know what I'll be able to eat during the apocalypse. Never tried this.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I find it fascinating that as early as 5000 years ago, everyone on the planet was either related to everyone alive on the planet today, or they have no living descendants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That IS interesting. I guess our relation to trees went back millions of years before that.

      Delete
  11. I love learning about herbs. You create a lovely picture of the Old Roman Road. I have visited there and it brings back lovely memories. God bless, and happy A to Z blogging. Maria from Delight Directed Living

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Day 1 of A to Z, Francene! Always up for some more plant knowledge, especially as a writer whose characters may have use of these sorts of healing plants. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fascinating, Francene, not to mention a coincidence. I'm writing a story about a "green" witch who uses wild garlic for healing.

    ~VR Barkowski

    ReplyDelete
  14. That was so awesome, alittle bit of education about the plant and how you used that into your story in your book. I loved it! It is a beautiful plant! Thanks for sharing! www.sandysanderellasmusings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Francene .. allium is a great word - and yes in spring time the flowers burst forth against that dark green. Those apothecaries and simplers of old knew so much about plants - their healing aspects as well as herbs to add flavour ...

    Great start to your A-Z ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete

Please tell me what YOU think.